University of Chicago

The Elizabeth Morse Genius Reading Room of the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago was built in 1931.

St. Louis Antique Lighting Company replicated these University Gothic pendants.  The incandescent lamps were replaced with a biaxial compact fluorescent system which doubled the amount of light and significantly decreased the amount of energy used.  An uplight system was hidden in the “crown” at the top of the fixture to evenly illuminate the very ornate ceiling in the library.